Remembering those lost

by - September 11, 2010


Today is 9 years since the September 11th attacks. What a sad day. I remember being woken up by my friend and turning on the news and being really confused. I thought a building somewhere was just on fire then as I watched and realized what was going on I was completely freaked out.  I remember getting in my car and driving to my Dad's work and watching the news with him and my grandpa. Then the first building collapsed and I watched my grandpa get upset. I could not believe it. That whole day or maybe it was the next I can't remember now I just know I watched the news and cried and felt so horrible for those people who were in the planes and buildings. I thought about how scared they must have been.

I remember everyone buying American flags and putting them on their cars and they were everywhere. Firemen were standing on the streets collecting donations for the families of those lost and those who were in need of medical care. It was so surreal. It was such an insane thing to live through. I never thought something like this would happen in my lifetime. Now we have a war going on, another thing I never thought I would experience and thankfully I am here and not there.

I am also so thankful that there was no need for a draft. I remember at one point people saying there might have been one and I was freaked out because they said they were going to make women do it too. It was all just so crazy back then. Now I feel like we are almost forgetting what we all felt in those days, months and years right after. People don't have the flags hanging from their car windows anymore or out in their front yards. I really think we need to get one. Why not? Why not show our pride in our country and not wait for another event like this to happen to unify us once again.

You May Also Like

0 comments