How to Make a Play Kitchen

by - July 19, 2012



For Ace's birthday I knew exactly what I wanted to "get" him. I wanted him to have a play kitchen and of course we had to make it! Little to my husbands knowledge I was busy searching Pinterest high and low for inspiration for his play kitchen. 
We had gotten a nightstand awhile back from a garage sale and I was going to use that and just make a small little play kitchen when I found a gem on Craigslist! Even Simon liked it!

My husband could not quite see what I was planning so I delegated like a good wife and explained that we needed to cut the middle top part off, get a new back board, sand, paint and fix this thing up. Let's just say he was a bit annoyed with me and this is because he knew he would be doing all the work. I suck at this kind of stuff so the poor guy always gets stuck doing the hard labor. 

ripping off the back

Making a straight line to cut the top off



I did help prime it! Branden painting it.

painting the back of the doors with chalkboard paint
We got these pulls from IKEA

Metallic Finish was used for the front of the doors


The finished product! Ignore the uneven doors, we have to fix them

His stove top burners were made with cork trivets from IKEA

Branden cut a rectangle in plywood and added plexiglass for the oven



We got a lot of the items for his kitchen from IKEA. That place is the best!

Entertainment Center: Craigslist Find $15
Burners (Cork Trivets): $2.99 for 3
Black Pulls/ Handles: $2.99 for 6
Kid Pans: $9.99 for set of 4
Knobs for Stove Top: $1.99 for 6
Dishes and Cups: $1.99 each set (6 in set)
Plastic basket with food: $10.99
White Frame: IKEA
Magnets for doors: Home Depot
Spray Pants: Home Depot
Plexiglass for Oven: Home Depot

We still have some more things we want to add like hooks for all his Kitchen Utensils, I want to add little shelves to the sides. We need to also work on the microwave, it is a bit uneven but Bran just wanted to get it finished before his family came to visit since he wouldn't have time before Ace's birthday. Overall I think it turned out amazingly well. Branden is such a good little play kitchen maker!

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. I've always wanted to make one for my son, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out really cute. I wanted to make one, but couldn't get my hubby on board. We ending up shelling out $200 at Toys R Us (ouch). I'm stopping by from from the GFC Hop and am now a new follower. Please feel free to stop by my blog, and follow if you like.

    http://amrsandamama.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how it turned out! I wanted to make one, but my daughter got a purchased one as a gift so...yeah. Maybe when she outgrows her current one. Love how customizable you can make it!

    ReplyDelete