Featured Friday Poster: Merrick from Merrick's Art!

by - July 20, 2012

I recently was cruising around Pinterest (Shocker!) and found a pin about Merrick's blog. I instantly became obsessed with how creative and stylish she was. I immediately emailed her and asked her to do a featured post. I know many new Mom's could use some of her awesome tips and ideas. I am thrilled to welcome Merrick to Featured Friday. Here is an amazing guest post from her!


Hi there, I'm Merrick from Merrick's Art, where I blog about sewing, style, and family life. I'm excited to be over here on Perfectly Imperfect Mom today talking a little bit about Mommy Style.

Before I became a mom, I was a student, and then spent a few years working as a project manager for a local company. Both of these required getting dressed every day, and looking both put together and appropriate. But once my little Peanut was born, I was suddenly thrown in to the world of staying at home with nowhere to be, no one to see, and no one caring what I looked like. And yet, I could count on one hand the number of times I haven't gotten dressed and put on makeup for the day in the last two years since his birth. Why? Well, let me tell you.

Here are six reasons I get dressed and ready (which, for me, includes hair and makeup) EVERY morning:

  1. It gets my day started. I am not completely ready for the day by 7:00am, like my old work days, but even being ready by nine or ten gives me the whole day to get things done.
  2. It makes me feel more productive. There is nothing that makes me feel more lazy and less productive than walking around in my pajamas and bed-head until 5:00pm. Nothing would ever get done if I didn't get ready every day.
  3. It makes me feel confident. When I wake up in the morning, I certainly do not look my best (surprise, surprise). Putting on makeup, doing my hair (even if it's just a top knot or a pony tail), and throwing on even just a pair of jeans and a t-shirt makes me feel infinitely better about myself.
  4. It makes me a better mom. Carrying on from #3, feeling confident makes me a better mom. I am more patient, more fun, and more energetic when I'm happy and have taken some time to take care of myself
  5. It allows me to walk out the door any time. It is hard enough to get out the door with a child, but adding getting dressed and presentable to that is just crazy. You'll never get your errands done. Taking fifteen minutes in the morning to get yourself ready makes it easy to walk out the door (without being embarrassed) any time of the day.
  6. It is a favor to my husband. You guys. I cannot talk about this enough. Coming home after a long and tiring day of work to a messy house, a smelly and sweats-clad wife, and crazy kids is probably the LAST thing a husband wants to do, regardless of how much he loves you. Despite how crazy and busy my days are, I always make an effort to straighten up the house and put on a little lipgloss or perfume around 5:30pm before he walks in the door. He just deserves that.

So now that you know why I do it, let's talk for a second about how I do it. Because some people think that getting ready every day (especially as a mom) takes way too long, doesn't allow for comfort, and just isn't worth it.

Here are five of my go-to Mommy Style outfits that make me feel put together, are super comfortable, and are just as easy to throw on as a baggy t-shirt and sweatpants.

1. stretchy pencil skirts

skirt: made by me, t-shirt cardigan and sandals: target // skirt & sandals: target, graphic tee: made by me
 I just recently discovered my undying love for stretchy pencil skirts. I'd always worn pencil skirts to church or work, but with a graphic t-shirt and a pair of sandals, they can be very casual, so cute, and really comfortable. 

2. jeans & t-shirts

red jeans: f21, scarf: bought in London, tee: hand-me-down (heart by me), flats: payless // jeans: gap, belt: husbands, leopard flats: steve madden via platos closet, button up: target // jeans: abercrombie, tee: hand-me-down, belt: local boutique, necklace: gift, sandals: target // jeans: h&m (maternity), tee: target, necklace: c/o wild about jewelry, wedges: old navy
 Jeans and t-shirts are probably the easiest thing for a mom to wear, right? But it doesn't have to be so basic. Add a scarf, tuck (or half tuck) your shirt, add a skinny belt, or a big statement necklace, and suddenly your jeans and t-shirt ensemble is put together and pretty, but still comfortable and simple.

3. lightweight dresses

pink dress: target (maternity), cardigan: target, flats: h&m, belt: local boutique // maxi dress & leopard belt: target, cardigan: local boutique, necklace: c/o lisa leonard designs
As with pencil skirts, dresses were something I only wore to church or work in the past. But lightweight, stretchy dresses (especially maxi dresses) are the most comfortable thing you could possibly put on. It's like wearing a blanket all day long, but you look fabulous.

4. tunics & leggings

tunic: made by my mom, cardigan & leggings: target, leopard flats: steve madden via plato's closet // tunic: made by me, leggings, sandals & belt: target // tunic: made by me, leggings, sandals & belt: target
 Tunics have become a summer staple for me. They are so simple and effortless, and beyond comfortable. Add a fun belt or a cardigan, and you step it up just a little bit more.

5. pattern mixing

jeans: gap, striped tee: lucky brand via sams club, cardigan, belt & sandals: target // dress: gap maternity t-shirts (turned into a dress), cardigan: f21, boots: target // jeans: f21, top: old navy, belt: target
Pattern mixing is one of those things that is a bit scary at first, but can transform even the simplest of mom outfits if you do it right. Two easy rules to start out: use patterns that are in the same color family, and keep one pattern smaller than the other. Give it a try -- you'll suddenly look like you put way more effort into your outfit than you actually did!

So there you go. Six reasons to take care of yourself as a mom, and five easy ways to do it. Thanks again for having me!
merrick's art

You May Also Like

9 comments

  1. Love this post! You're absolutely right, getting dressed and ready...definitely makes for a better day...and the upside is that you feel great too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't she great?! I agree. I think it helps make you feel great.

      Delete
  2. Love this! I will try to put more effort in to my appearance. I'm also a SAHM and I've been thinking about making some more effort especially for my hubby. I need to make a few of those comfy pencil skirts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said. I started getting dressed every day when I worked from home. Now that I'm a stay-at-home-mom, I've continued to do it for all of the same reasons. I love Merrick's blog and have picked up several ideas from her.

    I also have a confession: Every evening I look at women's clothing boards on Pinterest to get ideas for the next day's outfit. Even if I don't see anyone besides my son's kindergarten teacher, I feel better about myself than if I was wearing sweats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I totally slack in the clothing department since having my son.

      Delete
  4. Love the striped tee and cardigan combo. So cute. I totally agree that it makes you feel more confident to get yourself made up and dressed in the morning. It took me awhile to realize that, but now I do make an effort to get myself ready in the morning (most days!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the blue tunic that your mom made!! Is there anyway that she would pass along the pattern? Really cute outfits! Thanks, Tawnya

    ReplyDelete