Cloth Diapers!

by - January 03, 2011



Ever since my first pregnancy, that sadly ended in a miscarriage, I have known I wanted to do cloth diapers for my baby. I love doing things that are environmentally awesome and good for my future children.  Cloth diapers seemed like a no brainer for me.

Ever since I have been looking at many different brands and types. I am not a huge nut about covers so that wasn't my main concern. I didn't care how cute they were so I focused mainly on what would be the easiest to use for myself and other family members that may watch the baby.

My first thought was Gdiapers. They seemed really easy and a good option for using cloth or disposable inserts in case you are on vacation or having a babysitter. They seemed to be gaining popularity and just over all seemed simple but I am not 100% set on them. I may buy a few for babysitters or back ups.

I went looking further and found Flip diapers. These are so far the top runner. I love that they have a plastic type cover so you basically only need a couple covers and you don't have to throw those in the washer you can wipe them down unless they get very gross from a poopy diaper but as long as they don't get soiled you just change the inserts. I think that seems to be the easiest option yet. I think the pocket ones seem nice but the fact that you have to wash each cover over and over again seems like you would end up doing a lot of laundry which kind of prevents the purpose of saving the environment in my opinion. I would rather buy a bunch of inserts and have maybe 4 to 6 covers (not 100% sure on how many you need at first) and only need to wash the inserts maybe 2 times per week instead of every other day which I have seen people say is a pretty common washing cycle for cloth diapers. I could be wrong on this though so don't hold me to it. I am by no means an expert but so far this seems to be what we will be getting as our main diaper system.

I am not opposed to other diaper systems because I am sure we might want a few cute covers but overall on a daily basis that is not going to be the main concern. If anyone has an tips or uses Flip's and can give me pointers on how many covers to buy that would be awesome.

Oh and on another cool note the covers can be worn from newborn to the end of potty training! Talk about saving money!

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. Good morning! Just wanted to let you know I thoroughly enjoy your blog and I ran across the link on BabyCenter. This post was really helpful to me because I've been researching and feeling the same way. Glad to hear about FlipDiapers.
    Best of luck to you! I think we're due about the same time - I'm 9w6d today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy, glad my blog could be helpful to you! I am really excited to use cloth diapers. I think we due about the same time as well!! I go Friday to hopefully confirm my due date since I have gotten 2 different dates so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I use Flip nappies, as well as bumGenius. I have to say Flip are heaps better since there's no stuffing of inserts after washing (hate doing that!).

    Congratulations on your pregnancy!! Woop woop! I have a 9 month old son called Finn and I'm now 11 weeks pregnant with Bub #2. It's so exciting! :)

    Jess
    xx

    ReplyDelete