Talking about Adoption to our Children

by - April 26, 2017

  Since Ashlyn is adopted we talk about adoption randomly and are very open with the children. Now that Ashlyn is getting older I try to talk about it a little more than before because I know she is going to start understanding things. 
Ashlyn and YaYa in October 2016
Tonight we were reading a book from her first mommy called Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You. I love this book so much. It is seriously such a great book for children who are adopted. The book is read by her YaYa so in the beginning she says this is a book for you Ashlyn from your Mama YaYa. It's a great way to remind her that she has two mommies and how lucky she is to also have two sisters. 
Tonight I told Ashlyn that she was in YaYa's tummy. When I asked her whose tummy she was she goes JoJo's. I was like no you were in YaYa's. She laughed and said no JoJo's, Gavin's Mommy. She thought it was so funny. 
This is the interesting thing about an adoption. We are learning how to talk to our children about it and when is the right time to tell them certain things because we aren't quite sure they will get it. This was a time when I realized I really needed to make Ashlyn a book about her adoption and family so it's less confusing. 
Another funny thing the girls do is when we talk about Ashlyn's sisters she will then ask who are Everly's sisters and I will tell her you are. She doesn't get yet that she has two extra sisters so then they both just say they have two more sisters. I know as time goes on things will make more sense to them but it is funny to see how they process things. Ace gets everything way more than the girls and seemed to understand it a lot earlier too. I think the girls have a harder time because they don't understand why one has something the other doesn't. They don't really know how to separate themselves from each other in that way yet. 

I am curious how other families talk about adoption with their toddlers. I never want it to be a shock to Ashlyn so we have always talked about it, talked and met up with her first mom so hopefully it will just be her norm.
 
facebookinstagramtwitterpinterestbloglovin

You May Also Like

0 comments