9/11/01-9/11/11

by - September 11, 2011

It has been 10 years since the September 11 attacks and I think anyone who was old enough to really understand the tragedy of the events remembers where they were and what they were doing that day when they heard about the attacks.
I remember getting woken up by my best friend, Katie, telling me to turn the news on. I put it on and just saw a building that looked like it was on fire, I thought no big deal, people were probably evacuated and safe, then she explained what happened, I was still half asleep and shocked. I remember getting out of bed, running downstairs to see my Mom watching the news and saying it was serious and how sad it was. I got in my car and drove to my Dad's work and him and my Grandpa and a few other people were in his office watching this tiny TV and we saw the second plane hit. I just remember covering my mouth in shock and my Grandpa tearing up. I asked if it was an accident, still not understanding how this could be happening and he said No, this was probably a terrorist attack. Being 17 I hadn't seen anything like this at the time and you never think you will in your life time but when you do it is incredible and serious. I got a call from my cousin asking me to pick her children up from school early and all I heard on the radio that day was I'm Proud to be an American and them talking about what was going on.  My best friend Maggie came over and we just watched the news in the dark all day and night. Thinking back now I can't believe we just sat there and watched the planes crash over and over again from different camera views and just crying all day.
I remember after that day how kind people were to anyone and everyone. Almost every car on the road had a flag hanging from it and the fire fighters standing on the streets collecting money in boots for the victims. The American pride continued for a long time and it's funny to think now no one has those flags on their windows.
I also remember the talk of war and freaking out about it. It scared me so much. Ten years later those of us here are still safe thanks to the many soldiers who fight for us and I am so grateful. I am grateful for the increase in security at the airports as I have flown so much since then. I hope my son never has to experience this kind of event in his lifetime.
Today we aren't doing much but hanging around the house but we did want to dress up Adonis in tribute of that day!


You May Also Like

0 comments