The Story of Our Girls: Surprise We're Adopting

by - August 17, 2015

This is the third part of a series I am sharing called The Story of Our Girls. To read the first part click HERE and second part HERE.


After finding out I was pregnant with Everly we were excited but very cautious. I had had my first OB  appointment and I just didn't feel confident. I worried I would have a miscarriage and it just freaked me out. I had only told my closest friends and family. 

When I was about 8 weeks along I got news from one of my closest friends that she also was pregnant. I thought she might have been due around the same time as me but when I asked she revealed she was almost 7 months along. She then told me she was placing the baby for adoption. My stomach sank. The thought of the pain she would go through made me want to run to her and do whatever I could to help her through this. 

I text Branden while he was at work and his response was "Want to adopt the baby?"
I figured he was joking so I text back "Haha you know me so well." 

But then a little bit later I get another message from my friend saying "I don't want you to feel like you can't be excited about your pregnancy because of what I am going through." This is where I realize even more how fortunate I am to have the friends I do. With everything she was going through she wanted me to know she wanted me to still be happy. 

From there our conversation turned into so much more. She made a comment not completely asking us to adopt her baby but when she said it I laughed and said "So funny, Branden sent me a text asking if I wanted to adopt the baby." Then she said "No, I am serious." In that moment I was a ball of emotions. I was happy, scared, excited, and of course sad. I didn't want my friend to have this loss. I didn't want her to go through something that would bring her so much pain. I didn't want to be the person to cause this by "taking" her baby. 

She later told me she always felt I was supposed to be Ashlyn's mother. She had told our other friend, her best friend, that she wanted me to adopt the baby but didn't think we would because I was pregnant. For some reason this always amazes me when she tells me this. 

She told me to really think about it and talk to Branden. She felt we were supposed to be this baby's parents and for her to have that kind of faith in us as parents meant the world to me. 

When Branden and I got home I told him what she had said to me about adopting the baby. I could see the wheels turning in his head. He of course began to think about the logistics, cost, age of the babies and would we really be able to do this? It didn't take long, though, for us to decide we were going for it. We had always wanted to adopt. We envisioned our family with two biological children and two adopted. We just always thought we would have two now and then two later on. 

We realized that this wasn't what we had planned but it what was meant to be for our family. 

Next: Finding out we are having GIRLS! 

Don't forget to enter the most recent GIVEAWAY

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. My goodness that's so amazing! What beautiful people you are x

    ReplyDelete
  2. God puts special people in our lives and he wanted you to be the parents or it wouldn't have happened. You all sound like such a wonderful family and I am happy for you all. Congrats on an awesome family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gives me goosebumpies every.single.time. Love you all to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete